Χριστός ανέστη! Αληθώς ανέστη!
Christ is Risen! Truly He is Risen!
ХристосВоскрес! Воистину Воскрес!
The Wisdom of St. Porphyrios of Kavsokalyvia (+ December 2, 1991)
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.” (Matt 22:37-8).
St. Porphyrios says:
Christ is the summit of desire. Divine eros raises us up to the sphere of God it bestows serenity, joy and fullness.
– Everyone possesses this inclination of the soul for heaven. All people seek something heavenly. All beings turn towards Him, albeit unconsciously.
– Turn your mind towards Him continually.
– Learn to love prayer, familiar converse with the Lord.
– What counts above all is love, passionate love for the Lord, for Christ the Bridegroom.
– Christ is Everything. He is joy, He is life, He is light. He is the true light who makes man joyful, makes him soar with happiness; He is the source of life, the ultimate desire, He is everything. Everything beautiful is in Christ.
– Become worthy of Christ’s Love.
–In order not to live in darkness, turn on the switch of prayer so that the divine light may flood your soul.
Christ will appear in the depths of your being.
– There, in the deepest and most inward part, is the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God is within you.
– Prayer is made only with the Holy Spirit. It teaches the soul how to pray.
Prayer for others which is made gently and with deep love is selfless and has great spiritual benefit. It brings grace to the person who prays and also to the person for whom he is praying. When you have great love and this love moves you to prayer, then the waves of love are transmitted and affect the person for whom you are praying and you create around him a shield of protection and you influence him, you lead him towards what is good. When He sees your efforts, God bestows His grace abundantly on both you and on the person you are praying for.
– The humble person believes that all things depend on Christ and that Christ gives His grace and in that way he makes progress. The person who possesses holy humility lives even now in the earthly uncreated Church. He always has the joy of Christ, even in the most displeasing circumstances…..
– All your effort should be focused on gazing at the light, attaining the light. In this way, instead of turning to grief which is not of God’s Spirit, you should turn yourselves to praising God.
Grief shows that we don’t entrust our life to Christ.
Reference: Wounded by Love: The Life and Wisdom of Elder Porphyrios, trans. by John Raffan (Limni, Evia, GRE: Denise Harvey, Publisher, 2005)